The development of the affordable housing industry in Australia is at a critical point. It is under pressure to increase the supply of affordable housing and to respond to the diversity of tenant and household needs within the wider housing market. Shifts in government policy and regulatory frameworks aim to promote the growth of the industry, reduce the regulatory burden on providers, increase opportunities across jurisdictions, and support future housing product development.
To-date the industry has responded effectively to opportunities to upscale and diversify. There have been significant organisational changes as the business models of affordable housing providers have become more diverse and complex.
How can this industry be further developed in Australia? What is the reform agenda to support this development and what is the capacity of the industry to respond?
This event convened by the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) will be informed by the significant body of evidence AHURI has developed on this matter including the Final Report Understanding leadership, strategy and organisational dynamics in the not-for-profit housing sector and the soon to be released Final Report Understanding decision making in the not-for-profit housing sector: longitudinal and comparative components.
The event will bring together what is known about this issue from the research perspective with what it means to senior policy-makers and the affordable housing industry.
Hear from international guest, Professor David Mullins from the University of Birmingham in the UK, as well as local experts:
- Associate Professor Vivienne Milligan, AHURI Research Centre—University of NSW
- Mr John Nicolades, Chief Executive, Bridge Housing
- Mr Mike Allen, Chief Executive, Housing NSW (and immediate past Chair of the former Housing and Homelessness Ministers’ Advisory Committee)
The event will conclude with an audience discussion and Q&A with panel members to address key issues:
- Industry settings and industry players—what does an affordable housing industry look like?
- The role of policy and regulation—how is the industry supported to grow and diversify?
- Organisation capacity—what is the capacity of affordable housing providers?
Tuesday, 13 May, 2014
8:45 AM – 12:30 PM
SMC Conference and Function Centre
66 Goulburn Street