Quick Bites –
- Xavier Smerdon, from ProBono Australia, has reported on the warning given to Australia by Michael Shapcott at a forum focusing on how to achieve affordable housing. Michael is co-Chair and a founding member of the National Housing and Homelessness Network in Canada and a founding member of the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee and the Toronto Coalition Against Homelessness. He warned that Australia could experience “mass homelessness” if the Federal Government fails to continue funding a national strategy. Read the full article here.
- John Daly of the Grattan Institute corrected Minister Joe Hockey on the impact of removing or tailoring negative gearing. See the SMH story here
- Inhabitat shows us Australia’s first carbon-positive prefab house, which produces more energy than it consumes. See the full story here
- When it comes to Sydney’s housing affordability there is good news and bad news (or bad news and worse news!) here
- The Baird government shares its vision of the $1 billion dedicated social and affordable housing fund here