A Minute with Magnus
Churches Housing Inc. has changed…
Churches Housing formally adopted at our AGM a new constitution. This new constitution changes our membership from the members of the Ecumenical Council, to membership of any church based organisation active in housing. In particular we wish to recruit as our members the social service organisations established by the church that are active in the area of housing.
Churches Housing Incorporated now invites you to join our association of faith-based organisations engaged in the ministry of housing provision. Churches Housing Inc. sees the church ministering to their communities through the development of affordable community housing. This encompasses many groups including low to moderate income earners, aged, disabled, homeless, crisis, women and children fleeing domestic violence, refugees, indigenous and any other vulnerable group in our community who require safe, secure and affordable housing.
For eighteen years Churches Housing Inc. (formerly Churches Community Housing) has been representing the church in the following areas of housing:
- providing resources, information and consultation,
- networking housing providers,
- providing a communication link with government
- researching and documenting housing initiatives and/or issues,
- brokering partnerships within and outside the sector,
- assisting the development of policies and plans,
- being a catalyst for new development on church owned land
- And advocating for affordable housing to government at all levels.
We work alongside other Peak bodies active in the areas of housing and homelessness as well as the various state and federal government departments active in housing, representing the faith-based housing sector on a number of advisory forums and committees.
What are the benefits of joining us?
- Networking and collaborating with your peers from other organisations and denominations.
- Access to the latest news, developments and information.
- A resource of consultation and assistance to your organisation, such as:
- Streamlining systems and procedures
- Advice and support regarding registration as a community housing provider
- Brokering and facilitating partnerships or development on church land. As an independent peak body we will walk alongside the church on your behalf as you seek to partner in development.
- 4 hours free consultation on these or other areas each year (travel, if necessary, not included).
- Combined advocacy to government. Recently we put forward extensive submissions to both the NSW and Federal housing enquiries. Churches Housing was quoted extensively in the final NSW report.
- As Government Policies change in this area and new opportunities arise it is important to be continually in the loop through Churches Housing, to ensure your quick response, so that these windows of opportunity are not missed.
As in many areas of life, we can do a lot more together in housing than we can do by ourselves. We invite your contribution to our part of this sector and hope that you can also assist in ensuring the church has a strong voice and a focused and sustainable ministry in the area of housing. As a member you will also be able to nominate members for the management committee or board, thereby having an even greater say in the direction and governance of Churches Housing Inc.
You will find a link to our new constitution on our website. Please read this before filling out the membership application on our website, a link is on our home page. As an Incorporated Association we are required to have real people as members, not just other organisations, so please put forward the name of the most appropriate person to represent your organisation in the area of housing if this is not you. At this stage we are simply asking a flat membership application fee of $100, with an annual fee waived for the first year of membership, which is this financial year. We will invoice you for this once your application has been approved by our board. There will be an annual fee after the first year of membership. We hope to have a proposed schedule of annual fees up on our website soon, pending approval by our board.
We trust and hope that our partnership with you will be mutually beneficial, that your organisation’s ministry in housing will be enhanced and, more importantly God will be glorified through this important ministry of housing provision. If you have any questions regarding membership, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.